[X-Unix] 10.3 FTP - Anon Read Only Access

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Fri Sep 24 16:13:30 PDT 2004

On 23 Sep, 2004, at 15:28, Steve Savery wrote:
> I've been trying to configure the FTP service on Panther Server (all
> the latest updates). However, while I can allow anonymous access, the
> user is not able to upload files. I've tried creating a symbolic link
> to a shared area with Everyone read/write access, but this still
> doesn't work. I don't want to create a user for people log on with
> unless I really have to as our clients are a bit dim. ;-)

The basic philosophy with FTP servers these days is that they are very
dangerous and therefore their "base" must be contained and users
severely restrained. Any link out of the "controlled" area is a large
potential security hole.

However, all that said. The Panther server does allow symlinks for
general users. See the document: "File Services Administration" Chapter
6 FTP Service, for details.

http://www.apple.com/server/documentation/

However again,

Page 81 - "Anonymous FTP users are only allowed to upload files into a
special directory named "uploads" in the FTP root."

Page 85 describes how to create that directory.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com