[X-Unix] Root Exploit via sudo

Stephen Jonke sjj_public at mac.com
Thu Apr 7 12:43:51 PDT 2005

The issue at hand is that on the Mac the default is for the user to be
an admin user. When you set up your Mac, you create an account, and
that account is an admin account. Linux generally isn't something your
Mom can set up on her own. A Mac is, and most users will not know that
the initial user account, which they'll use, is an admin account, nor
even what it means for an account to be an admin account. This is a Mac
issue because Mac OS X makes it easy for almost anyone to do it and if
it's going to do that, then it needs to go the extra mile for such
users. All that would mean is setting the mentioned settings by
default. That, to my mind, isn't too much to ask of Apple - unlike my
Mom, *they* should know better.

Steve