[X-Unix] Re: Korn shell?

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Wed Apr 13 00:07:10 PDT 2005

> Would anyone care to provide a quick rundown of the pros & cons of
> Korn vs. bash?

http://docs.rinet.ru:8080/UNIXs/ch13.htm

If you come from a long time Unix background you'll probably prefer ksh,
because it's the default for many "true" Unix systems.

If you deal more with Linux you'd probably prefer bash where it is the
default.

But both are available on either platform. In fact, I have installed ksh on
my Panther system. ksh for Panther is a free download.

I prefer the ksh scripting syntax over that of bash. On the other side bash
seems to have many shortcuts that could be useful under special
circumstances.

I don't think that Apple will make ksh the default. With so much hoopla over
Linux and bash dominating the Linux shell world I don't see why they should
change. And Apple would probably really irritate some sysadmins if they
changed the default shell again.

Bjorn

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3166