[X-Unix] Re: Root Exploit via sudo

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Apr 13 03:04:26 PDT 2005

On Apr 13, 2005, at 5:24 am, Tom Shaw wrote:

> I am still at a loss with this thread. What is the key real issue?

Because of the default timeout, an application can leverage `sudo`
privileges even though the user has not specifically authorised it, and
even when the granting of `sudo` privileges might be undesirable.

> If you can sudo then you have an admin PW and you can muck about
> without issue so what's this thread really about?

Something other than you mucking about with your system using `sudo`
privileges.

> Maybe its about being a little sloppy and an academic usage of trojans.

It's not really that academic - it is clearly & well-documented that
users will click on things & run them. If you've never used PCs, then
you won't realise how easy it is to get a virus from an infected
attachment or other .exe - the second time I did it I was REALLY
cursing myself for my stupidity, but however educated one is, getting a
virus is the _last_ thing one expects from what mostly seems like
normal computer usage (clicking on an attachment in order to open it).

Considering that I've had 14 - 28 day uptimes since I got my G5 and
that I probably run `sudo` in the terminal once a week, if I were dumb
enough to run girls_in_bikinis.app that I received by email, then it
could almost certainly get sudo rights on my system. Bear in mind that
girls_in_bikinis.app does not require use of a password, it just runs,
appears to finish & then does its nasties next time I run `sudo` in a
terminal.

Stroller.