[X-Unix] CL Usenet and email

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Apr 14 05:52:13 PDT 2005

Sometime in April Jamie Kahn Genet assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| How many people, wonder actually use CL email and/or Usenet clients on a
| day to day basis nowadays? Many of you guys? Hardly at all? Do the
| disadvantages of the CL interface outweigh the flexibility of CL input
| and scripting? Or the other way around?

Since I've never really used a graphical mail client, I really don't know
what I'm missing out on. I think the only draw back between something like
mutt or pine and say evolution (linux background) is the integration with
other programs (e.g. calendars) and the learning curve. The calendar stuff
isn't that important to me. From my expirence, mutt is very customizable.
I've spoken with people who've tried to find something comparable in the
graphical arena and they have been hard pressed to find a gui mail client
with its feature set.

| How realistic is it to expect to run such important parts of one's life
| by CL?

I think it's very realistic --- especialy if you can touchtype ;). Though I
don't yet have lots of expirence, my understanding is that everything in os
x has some command line component. Learning how to configure such things
from the CL can be really useful when doing remote administration over slow
or latent network connections.

| Basically I'm wondering if I'm a bit silly to think of CL alternatives.

I think you should go with what you are comfortable. If you are comfortable
with the CL, stick with it. If not, perhaps the gui will be easier for you.
Remember, the computer is the tool ;).

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB