[X-Unix] Buggy Fink, sym & hard links.

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Apr 14 10:06:12 PDT 2005

Sometime in April Jamie Kahn Genet assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| You're telling me I can mount a drive to act as a directory? If so, I'm
| extremely interested.

That's pretty much what happens when you stick a memory stick into your mac
and a directory "appears" in /Volumes. Open up a terminal and type 'df'.
This is my output:

/dev/disk0s3             195109344 107416336 87181008    55% /
devfs                          185       185        0   100% /dev
fdesc                            2         2        0   100% /dev
<volfs>                       1024      1024        0   100% /.vol
automount -nsl [368]             0         0        0   100% /Network
automount -fstab [371]           0         0        0   100% /automount/Servers
automount -static [371]          0         0        0   100% /automount/static
/dev/disk1s3               7933184   6128768  1804416    77% /Volumes/tnstaafl

/dev/disk1s3 is my ipod which is automaticaly mounted as /Volumes/tnstaafl.
These are the steps I would take in linux to mount a disk at /sw:

 o create a partition with fdisk (/dev/hda1)
 o format the partition (say ext3)
 o create the mount point (mkdir /sw)
 o edit the file /etc/fstab to tell the system
   to mount the disk (/dev/hda1) at the correct
   mountpoint (/sw).

I don't know the mac way of doing all of these things. You can use diskutil
to create the partition. You can probably use diskutil to do all of these
things actually. Perhaps someone can help out with the specifics.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB