[X-Unix] CL Usenet and email

Lorance Stinson lorancestinson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 11:37:31 PDT 2005

On 4/14/05, Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
> How many people, wonder actually use CL email and/or Usenet clients on a
> day to day basis nowadays?
With the exception of OpenOffice everything I do for work is done on a
command line. I use screen for multiple windows, mutt for email, W3M
for the web and until recently tin for Usenet (best Usenet client I've
ever used).

> Do the disadvantages of the CL interface outweigh the flexibility of CL input
> and scripting? Or the other way around?
There are not many disadvantages as far as I'm concerned. The
advantages are numerable. I can work faster and also work from
anywhere. I can get just as much work done regardless of my being in
the office, at home or even in another state. I even had an Ethernet
cable run into the bedroom so I can work in bed. And the web is a much
nicer and faster place without images, Javascript and plugin crap.

> How realistic is it to expect to run such important parts of one's life by CL?
Very. Until a few weeks ago when I got my Ti running OSX I did almost
everything via command line at home. Now I use GUI apps much more
often. And Gmail only works in newer browsers, so I don't use my W3M
as much for personal browsing anymore. I've been using CL apps for
work for years and have had very few problems. I feel it makes me a
more efficient employee.

> Basically I'm wondering if I'm a bit silly to think of CL alternatives.
Not at all. The CL is wonderful, but like all tools it is not the best
tool for everyone. My wife would never be able to manage, but then she
is a much more visual person and has an easier time with GUI apps then
I do.