[X-Unix] Capturing traffic on built-in ethernet interface question

Alexandre Gauthier supernaut at underwares.org
Thu Apr 14 20:17:32 PDT 2005

Eric F Crist wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2005, at 5:27 AM, Russell McGaha wrote:
>
>> Can anyone point me to a tutorial on what I need to be able to, and
>> how to, capture traffic on the wired interface? A link to info on how
>> to read the info once I get it; would also be welcome.
>>
>> TIA
>> Russell
>

> I would look at the ethereal package information. This is a software
> package that will pull data from the interface and help you view it.

You could also have a look at the "ettercap" package. This is one is
made for nastier purposes though. And it can get a system admin down to
your desk with a sawed-off shotgun in the next five minutes if you use
it inadequatly.

But I quite like the tool for it can capture data off switched networks
by doing a tiny almost polite storm.
... okay no. Well, still.

--
Alexandre Gauthier
supernaut at underwares.org

underwares.org
Obscure IT knowledge Open Database

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for
the operating system.