[X-Unix] Re: CL Usenet and email

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Sat Apr 16 22:01:47 PDT 2005

On Apr 16, 2005, at 5:34 PM, James Bucanek wrote:

> I admit where IMAP can be really useful for someone who accesses their
> mail from multiple locations (like a home and work computer).  And if
> I were in that situation, I might consider setting up an IMAP account
> to do that.  But outside of that advantage, IMAP simply takes
> everything that a good POP client can do and gets in the way.

Indeed.  Being able to mark read/delete mail from my handheld or
webmail or Mail.app is the only way I'd manage my email anymore.  Major
timesaver, even on a dialup.  Seems like your mail client might have
been poorly configured.

But yes if you are accessing from one machine and never ever want to
switch mail programs, go POP.  IMAP lets me also use as many different
clients as I want, which is nice when I want to test something new.

TjL