[X-Unix] Strange Files , .DS_Store, ._c.zip Etc...

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Thu Apr 21 07:23:23 PDT 2005

Long, Jason wrote on Thursday, April 21, 2005:
>    Everytime I SSH Into my Mac from work, I see all of these .DS_Store
>files which I have no idea what they're for anyways I'm sure they're
>System items but when it happens to files like a zipped archive and all
>of the other types of file it tends to make a set just like that for
>example I have a file that is like this  C.zip  and in the ssh window
>there's also a file like this ._c.zip  what's up with that? Is it safe
>to delete these files or will they make the Main file corrupt? Also is
>there a way I can make these not appear in the SSH Window like at work
>I'm stuck using Windoze boxes so I fire up WinSCP and go into my Mac at
>home, and see all of these weird files, I'm afraid if I accidenly delete
>one of them then the other will become corrupt.

You're not using HFS: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106510>

The .DS_Store files store desktop metadata used by the Finder (window position, colume view, icon placement, ...).  You can safely delete them, but you'll lose whatever settings were in there.
--
James Bucanek <mailto:privatereply at gloaming.com>