[X-Unix] mail from terminal

lj Palmer darwin at ljsworld.com
Thu Apr 21 23:02:26 PDT 2005

Apple has now included Postfix instead of sendmail in Panther client
and server. Here are the steps you need to do and watch out for if you
want to enable this MTA on your client machine.
	1.  	 Edit the MAILSERVER=-NO- line in /etc/hostconfig. Change it to
read MAILSERVER=-YES- or -AUTO-. Save and exit the file.
	2.  	 Open up /etc/postfix/main.cf, and edit these lines to reflect
your setup. These are examples from my setup; yours might be different.
		◦ 	LINE 67: myhostname = pb.ljs-world.com
		◦ 	LINE 75: mydomain = ljs-world.com
		◦ 	LINE 91: myorigin = $mydomain
		◦ 	LINE 105: inet_interfaces = all
		◦ 	LINE 152: mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
Save your work, and exit the file.
	3.  	 Open up /etc/postfix/master.cf, and uncomment line 77 -- change
#smtp inet n - n - - smtpd to smtp inet n - n - - smtpd. Save and exit
the file.
After a reboot or a postfix (re)start, the postfix MTA will be running.
(sudo start postfix)

This will also allow you to use localhost as a SMTP, but some ISP's
mail server won't accept your email for fear you are a spammer.
You could put a relay line in /etc/postfix/main.cf that will help.

relayhost = smtp.yourisp.com

..lj