[X-Unix] Using the CLI to delete "pesky" files/folders

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 24 20:13:44 PDT 2005

At 22:55 -0400 24/4/05, John Harrold wrote:

>Sometime in April Mark Gibson assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
>| Hi,
>|
>| I'm the first to admit the the CLI is not my forte (to be honest that
>| is why I got away from Fortran, COBOL, CP-M and DOS a long, long
>| while ago).
>|
>| However I have some folders and files that just sit in the trash and
>| refuse to be deleted, so I'm hoping that "sudo ..." something can
>| remove them for me.
>|
>| These files refuse to be deleted because either they are "invisible"
>| in the Finder or allegedly I don't have the correct privileges.
>|
>| I've tried booting the volume up in OS 9 to avoid the permission
>| issues but deleting ./trash doesn't seem to help.
>
>OS X seems to story the trash in ~/.Trash
>
>Try something like:
>
>rm -rf ~/.Trash/*.*
>
>If that doesn't work you can try:
>
>sudo rm -rf ~/username/.Trash/*.*
>
>Where username is your login.

John,

Thanks but nothing happened (in the trash anyway).

Do I need to restart before the GUI catches up?

If the files are from a volume other than the boot volume do I need
to try there too (or is the trash information for all volumes stored
in ~/.Trash)?
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

WARNING: THIS IS A DESIGNATED FLYING SLEDGEHAMMER AREA.