[X-Unix] Using the CLI to delete "pesky" files/folders

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 24 20:53:35 PDT 2005

At 23:29 -0400 24/4/05, ~flipper wrote:
>Mark Gibson wrote:
>
>>John,
>>
>>Thanks but nothing happened (in the trash anyway).
>>
>>Do I need to restart before the GUI catches up?
>>
>>If the files are from a volume other than the boot volume do I need
>>to try there too (or is the trash information for all volumes
>>stored in ~/.Trash)?
>
>Mark,
>
>Try this:
>
>In OS X, just open your Terminal and type:
>
>   sudo rm
>
>  and then drag and drop the items (open trash, drag all the items)
>to anywhere in the terminal window and hit <return>. It'll ask for
>your password, type it in and hit <return> again.
>
>At first it will seem the items are still in Trash, but ckick once
>in Trash and they're actually gone. (It takes an 'action' of any
>kind before the Finder 'catches up' with the reality of the folder's
>situation).
>
>If you ever do the OS 9 'trick', again, don't try deleting .trash,
>just dump the Trash contents onto the desktop and, from OS 9 select
>the items, drag to your Trash and delete.
>
>Brian s

Brian,

This what I received following the above:

By: gibsonm
From: Home-Server
Date: Monday, 25 April 2005, 13:50

Last login: Mon Apr 25 13:35:25 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Home-Server:~ gibsonm$ sudo rm
Password:
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
        unlink file
Home-Server:~ gibsonm$ /Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/HD\ 20Gb
/Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/Alfred\ Hitchcock
-bash: /Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/HD 20Gb: is a directory
Home-Server:~ gibsonm$

--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

When do you want to crash today? (Just before you hit the save button
sounds nice;-)