[X-Unix] Using the CLI to delete "pesky" files/folders

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 24 21:51:03 PDT 2005

At 00:34 -0400 25/4/05, ~flipper wrote:
>Mark Gibson wrote:
>
>>Brian,
>>
>>This what I received following the above:
>>
>>By: gibsonm
>>From: Home-Server
>>Date: Monday, 25 April 2005, 13:50
>>
>>Last login: Mon Apr 25 13:35:25 on ttyp1
>>Welcome to Darwin!
>>Home-Server:~ gibsonm$ sudo rm
>>Password:
>
>Did you drag and drop the icons of the items in trash to the
>terminal window? It looks like you just typed sudo rm and hit return?
>
>>usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
>>        unlink file
>>Home-Server:~ gibsonm$ /Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/HD\ 20Gb
>>/Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/Alfred\ Hitchcock
>>-bash: /Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/HD 20Gb: is a directory
>>Home-Server:~ gibsonm$
>>
>>--
>
>so you have a kolder in the Trash, that's trickier, you have to use
>rmdir  instead of rm
>
>try:
>type:
>sudo rmdir -R   (and then drag the folder from trash to the
>terminal), and then hit return, it'll ask for your password, type it
>in and hit return again.
>
>Brian

Brian

Yes I did drag the icons (as per the lower ahlf of the terminal response.

This is what I got this time:

>Last login: Mon Apr 25 14:46:23 on ttyp2
>Welcome to Darwin!
>Home-Server:~ gibsonm$ sudo rmdir -R
>/Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/Alfred\ Hitchcock
>rmdir: illegal option -- R
>usage: rmdir [-p] directory ...
>Home-Server:~ gibsonm$

Looks like -R isn't a valid option.
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Not one step has man taken toward the solution of the problem of
his destiny.  In one condemnation of folly stand the whole universe
of men.  -- RWE