[X-Unix] Using the CLI to delete "pesky" files/folders

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 24 23:00:47 PDT 2005

At 01:53 -0400 25/4/05, ~flipper wrote:
>PoolMouse wrote:
>

>>>Tried and failed:

>>can you run an ls -l of the directory you're trying to flush?
>>
>>thanks,
>>don
>
>why all the chflags stuff????
>
>Just open the terminal. type sudo rm -r  (type <space> after the -r).
>
>drag and drop the files/folders to the terminal window, let em go,
>and hit return
>
>type the password, when requested, hit return. Done.
>
>this isn't rocket science.
>
>Brian S

Brian,

It may not be rocket science but it doesn't work:

>From: Home-Server
>Date: Monday, 25 April 2005, 15:57
>
> L a s t   l o g i n :   M o n   A p r   2 5   1 5 : 1 5 : 4 1
> o n   t t y p 1
> W e l c o m e   t o   D a r w i n !
> H o m e - S e r v e r : ~   g i b s o n m $   s u d o   r m   - r
> / V o l u m e s / L e v i a t h a n / . T r a s h e s / 5 0 1 / A l f r e d \
> H i t c h c o c k
> o v e r r i d e   r w x r w x r w x     r o o t / w h e e l
> s c h g   f o r
> / V o l u m e s / L e v i a t h a n / . T r a s h e s / 5 0 1 / A l f r e d
> H i t c h c o c k / . T r a s h e s / 5 0 1 / M a c i n t o s h
> H D /$ $ $ $  H F S +   P r i v a t e   D a t a ?

No request for a password. I took a punt and typed "yes" and received
the following:

--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

ON DATING
When aiming for the common denominator, be prepared for the occasional
division by zero.