[X-Unix] Using the CLI to delete "pesky" files/folders

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 25 00:13:55 PDT 2005

At 02:15 -0400 25/4/05, Chris Garaffa wrote:
>On Apr 25, 2005, at 2:00 AM, Mark Gibson wrote:
>
>>rm: /Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/Alfred
>>Hitchcock/.Trashes/501/Macintosh HD/$$$$HFS+ Private
>>Data/iNode191746261: Operation not permitted
>>
>>rm: /Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/Alfred
>>Hitchcock/.Trashes/501/Macintosh HD/$$$$HFS+ Private
>>Data/iNode212258254: Operation not permitted
>>
>>rm: /Volumes/Leviathan/.Trashes/501/Alfred
>>Hitchcock/.Trashes/501/Macintosh HD/$$$$HFS+ Private
>>Data/iNode307824737: Operation not permitted
>>

>I've seen this with corrupted directory structures. Have you tried
>rebooting into Single User mode and running fsck?
>1. Reboot, holding down the Command and S keys
>2. When shown the UNIX prompt, type "fsck -yf /".
>This will at least attempt to repair the startup volume. If it
>doesn't work, consider investing in a copy of DiskWarrior or Drive10.
>Also, since it looks like you have multiple discs or partitions, try
>using Disk Utility to repair those that aren't your startup volume.
>
>Best of luck
>
>--
>Chris Garaffa
><mailto:chris at nilzero.com>chris at nilzero.com

Chris,

Disk Utility told me the drive couldn't be unmounted (even though its
not the boot disk). So I started the machine off a 10.3 Install CD.
That copy of Disk Utility said the volume was OK.

I've also tried Disk Warrior 3.0.2 on this with no success that's why
I'm now reluctantly "peeking under the hood".
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

Einstein never accepted quantum mechanics because of this element of
chance and uncertainty. He said, "God does not play dice." It seems
that Einstein was doubly wrong. The quantum effects
of black holes suggests that not only does God play dice, He
sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen.  --Steven Hawking