[X-Unix] lpr ( unix thing...) ?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 17 05:00:51 PDT 2005

On Aug 17, 2005, at 5:46 am, Richard Nagle wrote:

> now in the terminal window, I type: lpr test.txt
> which should just print this simple text doc, to my default printer...
>
> Yes, it does... HOWEVER... a problem
> its printing to my HP LaserJet 5siMx
> but its printing to the first tray, and not using the 4 tray (2000
> sheet feeder) and its asking for prepunch paper?... odd
> well, anyways, is there a way to edit this print file,
> or config file... or how does one fix this...?

Hi,

This is a "unix / laserjet" thing: `lpr` won't try to tell the LaserJet
which tray to use - indeed, it probably doesn't even know your printer
IS a LaserJet.

A Google
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=lpr%20laserjet%20tray&hl=en
confirms my understanding that appropriate control codes can be sent to
the printer to manage stuff like this, and suggest that some Linux
distros bundle tools to do this.

You may be able to find the appropriate codes in the LasetJet's manual
- I recently met a guy who had done a lot of this - and add them as a
header to the top of the text file, or it may simply be possible to
alter the default tray in the 5SI's menu and have no further problems.
I haven't used the 5SI much myself, but it's usually possible to print
out menu-map and configuration pages on HPs.

Stroller.