[X-Unix] Setting up an SFTP server? Or possibly an SSH option?

Sharninder sharninder_khera at symantec.com
Mon Aug 29 22:00:59 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 23:10 -0500, Rad Craig wrote:
> I am trying to setup an SFTP server to download copies of our website
> backups.  We make a full backup once a week, just over 2GB right now.
>
> My webhost builds the backup archive and will send it to a remote FTP/
> SFTP server.  I need to do this because when I make a backup, it
> nearly pushes me over our quota on the website and makes my mail
> server act up.  I have to use SFTP because of the 2GB limit of FTP.
>
> I would also be open to using SSH and some form of secure copy.  I
> know very little about UNIX, so I'm looking for some help.  It
> doesn't have to be completely automated, but that would be very nice,
> to write a script.  I have SSH access to my web host.

I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but you can set up
a cron job on your webhost to scp the backup file (I'm assuming that its
just a tar.gz file) to your OSX box:

man crontab;crontab -e

And use a variant of the below command to tranfer the files to your OSX
box:

scp backup.tar.gz user at osxbox:/backups

You'll have to keep ssh running on your OSX box, though. You can find it
under system preferences->sharing

HTH

Regards,
Sharninder