[X-Unix] Sync services in Tiger

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Tue Aug 30 20:10:58 PDT 2005

William H. Magill wrote:

> While you might believe this to be an Application problem, that may
> or may not be true. The fact that the Application is using TCP/IP
> communications as a transport and calls upon other OS functions opens
> up the possibility that there is are issues with what is taking place.
>
> Historically, there have been people on this list who understand a
> great deal about OSX (not Unix) and how it works. Especially this
> kind of quirk. If you truly understand Unix, you also understand that
> there are interrelationships between the OS and applications,
> especially in OSX, which have "interesting" effects.
>
> If you want to claim that Unix only applies to the Mach Kernel, then
> 99.9% of what gets talked about is not relevant.
>
> I know that Apple has had significant problems with .Mac and iSync
> since the release of Tiger. And I do not deny that this might be a
> pure Application Problem, however since this is Unix, one expects
> there to be logging and similar capabilities which can track down
> this kind of issue.

William,

The Mach Kernel is a minor role in what makes OS X a unix-similar
operating sytem.  The majority of that credit goes to the FreeBSD
5.x-based userland.

Now, if you're going to argue that your problem is specific to the unix
under-pinnings of OS X, fine.  However, there isn't a relationship
between you iPod and iSync with TCP/IP.  Last I checked, I don't need a
valid TCP/IP stack to sync with my iPod.

My best guess is to look in the Apple Support Forums for your answer.

Thanks!

Eric Crist