[X-Unix] Re: SSH connection -> Solved

SeaSoft Systems seasoft at west.net
Fri Dec 9 10:35:58 PST 2005

>From: Philip J Robar <pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org>
>

>On Dec 7, 2005, at 3:16 PM, SeaSoft Systems wrote:
>
>>  I am trying to SSH into a remote computer for the first time
>>  (specifically my computer-phobic aunt's new iBook in another state;
>>  I'm on a 10.3.8 machine)
>>
>>  I got her to read me her DHCP-assigned IP over the phone, and to
>>  turn on remote login in her system/sharing prefs. Had her reboot
>>  her system & then reconfirm remote login to be sure it took.
>>
>>  So far, I haven't been able to ssh into her computer (ssh says port
>>  22 connection refused). It may be I don't know what I am doing
>>  here, but I've read the ssh manpage & think I'm doing it correctly.
>>  I'm just typing, in a bash terminal window:
>>
>>  ssh username at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>>
>>  where I am using the correct username (I've tried both long and
>>  short user names here) and IP number.
>>
>>  I expected to be prompted for her admin password, but so far the
>>  connection is refused before that can happen.
>
>Is her computer hooked directly to the net (i.e directly to a modem
>or DSL/Cable modem) or is she using a home router with NAT enabled?
>If the later you/she will have to figure out how to map port 22 of
>the public address to port 22 of her private address. Most home
>routers have a way to do this.

Thanks to all for your guidance (Ted, Rod, Philip, Chris, Eric,
William and Ben). That was, for me, a very educational thread.

Turned out there *was* a firewall/router on her line (an Airport
Express Base Station). I was able to get Apple's airport admin
utility up and running on my computer and use it to configure her ABS
remotely (to open port 22 and 407, the latter to get Timbuktu up and
running).

So, now all is well; SSH and Timbuktu 8.5 all working as advertised.

Thanks again for the generous help here...

Warm Regards,

Richard