[X-Unix] safari auto-fill keychain [OT]

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Mon Dec 19 10:02:33 PST 2005

On Dec 19, 2005, at 9:01 AM, Ben Gold wrote:

> Not really a command line/unix question necessarily, but I haven't
> had much luck finding info elsewhere.
>

> When I go to my keychain application there is an entry for "Safari
> Forms AutoFill" that says:
>
> So what is this?  What file does it decrypt?  Where is that file?
> If someone has my password and I've used auto fill for purchases
> (which I don't) would they then have my cc#s?
>
> Curious to know if this is a dangerous piece of info or not
> (assuming you have valuable info in your autofill).
>
> But more, I'm just curious what file it is referring to and what
> kind of encryption?

If the prefs are set to do so, Safari attempts to autofill common
form data such as name, address, and so forth. If you are using the
current version of Safari, it does NOT save credit card numbers. It
also does not save password data in this file.

This is generally not dangerous info, and it is encrypted to prevent
casual browsing. If it concerns you, you can turn off autofill in
Safari prefs.

--
Scott Buntin