[X-Unix] Re: HD Mounting Trouble

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Feb 11 02:05:35 PST 2005

Working with Mac OS 9 I had these minutes of file system check too a
few times, usually when I had to reboot because an application was
running wild or the Mac became not functioning. Mac OS 9 leaves some
info on the disk that on next mount operation things have to be cleaned
up.

Presuming that something similiar happens in Mac OS X too I'd recommend
to eject the USB disk's volumes before rebooting. Maybe the many USB
devices are not arbitrated correctly so that the Mac OS X file system
caches are not always completely written to disk. What I can observe
with my external FireWire disk is that some ten seconds have to pass
until the first of its volumes gets ejected.

One things might bring a cure: activate journaling. It won't work with
Mac OS 9, which has no idea of journaling, so the volumes would be like
normal HFS+ volumes. Only in Mac OS X every change of a file or any of
its attributes would be journalled and could be re-played in case some
failure happened. Rebooting for example. And the re-play of a journal
is much faster than the usual repair that happens otherwise.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9