[X-Unix] Unlinking a file... illegal characters?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Feb 24 17:23:37 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:14:17AM +0000, Stroller wrote:
:
: I have a file that I don't seem to be able to remove from the trash.
: Emptying the trash simply doesn't work - nothing happens, you still see
: paper in the basket - and I seem to be unable to remove it from the
: command line, as shown:
:
:   $ rm -rf /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/.Trashes/
:   rm:
: /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/.Trashes//501/legoland/
: èÿÿÿvk␀␀..␀␀: File name too long
:   rm: /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/.Trashes//501/legoland: Directory not empty
:   rm: /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/.Trashes//501: Directory not empty
:   rm: /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/.Trashes/: Directory not empty
:
[...]
:
: The file originated on a customer's Windows box, which I backed-up by
: booting to MandrakeMove & `cp -Rf /mnt/windows/* /path/to/Clearlight`.
: I guess the file has become corrupt at some point - I've tried removing
: it under Lunix, Windows & Mac OS X, but all so far to no avail. If I
: delete it in Windows it ends up in a Recycler directory which I then am
: unable to `rm -rf`. Occasionally, if I boot to Windows with this drive
: plugged in the firewire bus, Windows will complain that the drive needs
: repairing & will checkdisk it, but the file still remains.
:
: Any suggestions?

Try deleting as root?

	$ sudo rm -rf /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/.Trashes/

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/