[X-Unix] Unlinking a file... illegal characters?

Michael Ziober michaelziober at myrealbox.com
Fri Feb 25 22:44:08 PST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:07:32 +0000, Stroller <MacMonster at myrealbox.com>
wrote:

> Would I be over-optimistic if I suggested that a different quoting
> method in the script might fix this? As you suggested, I thought about
> writing a program to do the job, but I never got as far in C as
> file-handling.

The inode is the only chance you have to successfully refer to the
file. Using "find ... -exec rm {} ;", or "find ... | xargs rm" aren't
going to behave any differently than what you've already tried from the
command line.

That said, I would consider trying the following:
1. Boot into single-user mode.
2. Use ls -i to get the file's inode.
3. Use clri to clear the inode.
4. Use fsck to repair the filesystem OR perform a safe boot.
5. Perform a normal reboot.

Note that I have NOT tried using clri under OS X, but I assume that
since it's present, it has been integrated to work with HFS+
filesystems.

Good luck,
Michael