[X-Unix] Re: Unlinking a file... illegal characters?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 26 03:18:15 PST 2005

On Feb 26, 2005, at 10:48 am, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 26.02.2005 um 03:24 schrieb
> x-unix-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com:
>
>> Would I be over-optimistic if I suggested that a different quoting
>> method in the script might fix this?
>
> Since the Perl scripts can't print the file's name correctly, print
> must return an error code. If you catch this situation you have in
> $inode the inode number of that file can unlink (delete) it in Perl.
>
> If you really want to know the file's name, catch the error condition
> too and print in a loop every character of this file in hex!
>
> This find
>
>      find /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/.Trashes/501/legoland -type f -ls
>
> fails too?

Unfortunately so. I've tried a few variations upon this already:

   $ find /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland -type f -ls
   find: /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland/èÿÿÿvk␀␀..␀␀:
File name too long
   $ find /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland -type f -print0
   find: /Volumes/CLEARLIGHT/foo/legoland/èÿÿÿvk␀␀..␀␀:
File name too long

So. I don't get far enough to identify the inode number using `find`.

Stroller.