[X-Unix] "Macintosh Compatibility" of Flash Disks

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Mon Jan 3 08:28:54 PST 2005

On Jan 2, 2005, at 11:56 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> on 05/01/02 20:30, Alexandre Gauthier at supernaut at underwares.org
> wrote:
>
>> I would like to mention that I have seen some flash based USB devices,
>> when formatted in either FAT16/FAT32 (I don't remember which, sorry, I
>> will try again later) would not mount on the desktop, but would work
>> fine when mounted manually with fstype "vfat", as expected.
>
> Alexandre, what do you mean by mount "manually"?  Do you mean to open
> Terminal and type the command
>
> mount -a

# mount -a mounts everything in the /etc/fstab file on traditional unix
systems.  On MacOS X, this should just mount all file systems that
MacOS X is aware of.

If I plug a Lexar 64MB JumpDrive in, I get the following messages in my
/var/log/system.log file:

Jan  3 10:23:38 localhost diskarbitrationd[90]: disk1s1    msdos
00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 MY STUFF
/Volumes/MY STUFF

Now, if it didn't mount correctly, what I *could* do is type the
following command:

# mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/jumpdrive

This command tells the OS the following: mount the file system located
at /dev/disk1s1 to /Volumes/jumpdrive, and try mounting it as if it's
an msdos file system.

Make sense? For more information, check out man mount.

HTH
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson