[X-Unix] Renaming "NO NAME" Flash Disks

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Wed Jan 5 21:22:09 PST 2005

on 05/01/05 20:21, Alexandre Gauthier at supernaut at underwares.org wrote:

> Well, it depends of the filesystem, really. If it is Fat/Fat32, you
> would see the resource fork files, which is perfectly normal.

Yes, I do.

> A drive knows its name by the filesystem label. How is your drive formatted?

Here is the relevant excerpt of the output from "diskutil list":

/dev/disk3
   #:                   type name               size      identifier
   0: FDisk_partition_scheme                    *252.0 MB disk3
   1:             DOS_FAT_16 NO NAME            251.7 MB  disk3s1> --

Back to my question, how can I change the name?  I understand from William's
reply that OS9 is actually labelling a partition somehow, and is not really
renaming the volume.

I tried typing:

diskutil rename disk3 MyDisk

and it thought about that for 5 seconds or so, and did not return an error,
but nothing got renamed.  I don't want to fool around with diskutil too much
since I'm scared I'll screw something up real bad.

Jerry