[X-Unix] Renaming "NO NAME" Flash Disks

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Thu Jan 6 20:27:34 PST 2005

Well, I should have persisted with the Finder more after reading Alexandre's
original reply.  You CAN rename these things in the Finder.  The trouble ws
that I was trying to click on the name in the sidebar.  Doesn't work!  But
if you View "Computer" (which I never do) you can do it in the Finder's
browser window, and also if you use your desktop (which I never do) you can
change the name of its icon there.

Thanks again for the education of diskutil, etc.!

Just for the archives, here are the results of the other ideas (none of them
worked):

*** diskutil rename ***
diskutil rename
works only on HFS(+) or UFS disks

*** msdos.util ***
/System/Library/Filesystems/msdos.fs/msdos.util -n disk1 MyDisk
fails saying "Device busy"

*** disutil partitionDisk ***
Works, but my camera didn't like it and insisted on reformatting it when I
put it back in the camera, which changed the name back to "NO NAME".  I was
too afraid to try it on my MP3 player.

As formatted by camera
/dev/disk3
   #:                   type name               size      identifier
   0: FDisk_partition_scheme                    *15.6 MB  disk3
   1:             DOS_FAT_12                    15.6 MB   disk3s1

As formatted by "diskutil partitionDisk disk3 1 MS-DOS CAMERA 16M" :
/dev/disk3
   #:                   type name               size      identifier
   0: Apple_partition_scheme                    *15.6 MB  disk3
   1:    Apple_partition_map                    31.5 KB   disk3s1
   2:             DOS_FAT_32 CAMERA               15.5 MB   disk3s2

Apparently the camera did not like Apple_partition_scheme,
Apple_partition_map, or DOS_FAT_32, wanting DOS_FAT_12 instead.  But
repartition only does one kind of DOS, called "MS-DOS", which is apparently
DOS_FAT_32.