[X-Unix] OSXvnc

SeaSoft Systems seasoft at west.net
Sun Jan 23 15:19:35 PST 2005

Background:

I have been trying for a couple days to get a VNC connection on my
LAN (for starters) between my only OS 10.2.8 box and a collection of
OS 8.6 and 9.2 macs. So far, no joy; the VNC client I am using
(VNCthing; the only one I can find that is said to work on pre OSX
systems) sits and thinks for a few minutes, then returns a "server
not found" error. (I know about Timbuktu but want to learn about VNC;
hence my effort.)

The setup:

- OSX box: Bombich's Share My Desktop v1.2 (aka "SMD"; a GUI to the
OSXvnc server in the BSD subsystem).

- BSD subsystem is installed on the OSX box.

- OS 8&9 boxes: VNCthing v2.2 (w/carbonlib 1.6)

- The connection attempt from OS9 to OSX uses the (fixed) LAN IP of
the OSX box and the SMD assigned VNC port number (5901):
192.168.167.xxx:5901

Googling for similar setups returns an unhelpful array of VNC
successes and failures with, to my eye, no pattern.

In TOP, I see a "OSXvnc-ser" item that comes and goes with SMD
activation. That obviously looks promising.

I wanted to see what version of OSXvnc I was running (to see if a new
fink install might help), but I can't find anything remotely like
"OSXvnc" in a Finder find, or in a terminal find with this command:

	sudo find / -name "OSXvnc*" -print

- Shouldn't OSXvnc show up in a global terminal find if it shows up in TOP?

- Does its absence mean it is a "hidden" process of some other program unit?

- How can I determine it's version number?

Any guidance on either the OSXvnc version number determination, or
clues as to why the VNC connection won't fly, would be most
appreciated.

Regards,

Richard