[X-Unix] Networking "guru" needed, dialin PPP not working

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sun Jul 10 19:33:41 PDT 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 9:13 PM, Timothy Luoma wrote:

[-fluff]

> The FreeBSD machine is hooked to a phone line which has 'pppd' and
> 'mgetty' setup for dial IN access.  When my Powerbook (running
> Tiger/10.4.1) is at home, I dial in to the office network and get
> an IP of 192.168.1.x from the FreeBSD machine.
>
> Here is the problem:
>
> The majority of the time when I dial in to the FreeBSD machine, I
> cannot access the Internet.  In fact, usually I cannot even ping
> the router (192.168.1.1).  I can ALWAYS ping the FreeBSD machine,
> but I cannot ssh into it (the ssh process dies somewhere between
> lines 4 and 5 below, after some time in limbo where nothing seems
> to happen)
>
> 1    debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
> 2    debug2: key: /Users/tim/.ssh/identity (0x3006d0)
> 3    debug2: key: /Users/tim/.ssh/id_dsa (0x306f80)
> 4    debug2: key: /Users/tim/.ssh/id_rsa (0x306fd0)
> 5    debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-
> interactive
>
> (step 5 shows a successful connection, usually (when it fails)
> after step 4 I see "connection closed to 192.168.1.200")
>
> Here's the real mystery.  If I leave the connection up and running
> and wait, somewhere between 2 minutes and 30 minutes later the
> connection will "come alive" and suddenly it will work flawlessly.
>
> I can sometimes seem to "wake up" the connection by trying to make
> connections (ssh, fetch mail, ichat).
>
> It seems to me (although this is just a guess) that SOMETHING is
> not being initialized properly when the dialin connection is made,
> but it takes awhile for it to get all sorted out.
>
> The problem is that I have no idea where the problem is or what I
> should be trying to solve this problem.
>

> Any help or even educated guesses would be appreciated.
>
> TjL

Timothy,

This is really a better question for questions at freebsd.org or one of
the mgetty/pppd mailing lists.  This sounds more like a problem with
the routing setup of your freebsd box than an issue with your
powerbook.  I would check to make certain you have routing enabled
(setup from /stand/sysinstall under configuration->networking).

HTH