[X-Unix] Raw Disk Copy from command line?

Alexandre Gauthier supernaut at underwares.org
Fri Jul 15 09:51:21 PDT 2005

Hello there.

Say, suppose I was to make a 1:1 copy of some IRIX media CDs, and and I
assume them to not be readable by OS X. Let's pretend.

My plan to make a 1:1 copy of these cds would be to do the following:

If the filesystem was to be mountable, i'd unmount the volume. Then, i'd
use something like

dd if=/dev/disk1s0 of=image.img bs=2048

To create a raw image. And then, i'd burn it using the Disk Utility.

Would this work? I just want to know what you guys think of all this, or
if you can suggest a better way to make 1:1 copies without Toast...
Or seldom installing anything, even.

--
Alexandre Gauthier
supernaut at underwares.org

underwares.org
Obscure IT knowledge Open Database

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for the operating system.