[X-Unix] Re: Need help w/.login and unix exec files

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 20:28:24 PDT 2005

Timothy Luoma wrote:

>On Jul 22, 2005, at 8:09 PM, ~flipper wrote:
>
>>All of a sudden, my tcsh isn't launching with my .tschrc file being read first.
>>
>>That's a .login file issue, isn't it?
>
>Not necessarily.
>
>Do all these match?
>
>    finger `whoami` | fgrep 'Shell:' | sed 's#.*Shell: ##'
>
>    nidump passwd /|grep "`whoami`:" |sed 's#.*:##'
>
>    echo $SHELL

Well, all three of the command lines echo back:

/bin/bash

but with 'currently running processes displayed on the window bar, i see tcsh, and i'm getting my % prompt, rather than the bash $

that leads me to believe that the sheel is appearing as a normal tcsh,but using tc version of the default OS X bash sh... does that make sense? It makes sense to me, but... again, I don't actually know what's going on.

>>And if it isn't too trivial, could someone point me towards re-orienting the terminal so that it looks at MY .tcshrc file before it gives me the first command prompt? I would be very grateful for some beginner's help on this.
>
>What does Terminal preferences say?

For "When creating a new Terminal window", it's got 'Execute this command (shpecify complete path) and it's reading :  /bin/tcsh
 But I've lost my imlicitcd, my 'less' setting for setenv PAGER, all of my great aliases, etc.

I know that when i migrated from Jag to panther to Tiger on one Powerbook, and Panther to Tiger on the other, I dragged my old .tcshrc file over, and i'm reading it now. It's still the same.

It looks to be encoded in Western ASCII, but maybe it should be in Unicode-8 now? i don't know.

thanks for helping out.

brian s