[X-Unix] Problem with old umask setting

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:42:16 PDT 2005

John Baltutis wrote:

>AFAIK, the command is umask, not unmask. See
><http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man1/umask.1.asp> for details.
>
>Also, see <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86135> to reset
>default shell.

I had a lot of typos in my post ( 'umak', 'rebbots'), but no 'unmask'... hadn't gotten to that one yet.

The thing is, myself and a tech support guy fixed the immediate problem ( a daemon not 'carrying' across reboots). The folder mode for my StartupItems folder was a correct 40775, Three items (all daemons) that were installed by me had a correct 40755, but the 4th item had a 40754, and was failing.

It took two to make that happen, I believe (at this point) the installer for the daemon (which escalated to root when i entered my admin password during install) 'aopted' part of my home 'mask' and fudged the mode on its own folder inside the StartupItems folder.

Who to blame on that one? me for having my own mode for my own 'Home', or the authors of the installer, for not forcing the proper mode in the local Library?

I don't think i can take the blame on this one. :)  That makes 'one in a row', for me :)

The consultants who wrote the software (a DynDNS updater daemon and frontend) are looking into a flaw on their end, and i did the mod on my end that has completely corrected the original problem.

But still the 'really' original screwup, on my end, was seeing the '7' when i ran the umask command with no options/arguments. After my batch mod, the recursive variety, on the home folder, 'umask' returns '2', instead of the really wrong '7'.

So, it looks like all is well here, for now.

brian s