[X-Unix] Re: Updates & login weirdness

Ethan Rips beyond.theframe at verizon.net
Fri Jun 3 16:50:48 PDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 7:32 PM, David Haines <haines.d at comcast.net> wrote:

> If you want to be more targetted in your approach, a common culprit is:
> com.apple.loginwindow.plist
> ie:
> cd/Users/edrefyus/Library
> mv com.apple.loginwindow.plist com.apple.loginwindow.plist.com
> (note the space between each "word" listed above)
> though you might also want to rename
> com.apple.finder.plist

I tried the approach above, but it didn't work (I'm sorry, but it was a
few days ago & I don't remember the error message I got).

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Eugene <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:

> : Is there any way to get around the "Read-Only file system" problem? I
> : can't ditto files to my external hard drive, apparently, without
> : changing the directories & files from Read-only, but I don't know how
> : to do that.
>
> When you boot into single-user mode, the hard drive itself is
> not "ready" to be used by OS X.  At this point, it is mounted
> as a read-only volume.  You need to run the following commands:
>
> 	/sbin/fsck -y
> 	/sbin/mount -uw
> 	/sbin/SystemStarter

I tried this & then tried to copy my files using ditto, but got a
kernel panic.

When I repeated the three commands above, the following happened:

Timed execution services (31) did not complete successfully.
login window (104) did not complete successfully.
Cron, the login window & Startup script failed.

I then tried to copy my files using ditto again, but got the prompt
"Read-only file system".

Let me try another tack: If I'm trying to ditto /Users/[me]/Documents
to my external drive, am I creating a new problem by trying to copy to:

/Volumes/[ExternalDriveName]/Backup/Documents

or is there a specific address to which I must ditto my files?

Another possibility (?): Do I need to have OS X installed on the
external drive?

Just fishing...

Thanks.

Ethan