[X-Unix] App launched by my crontab runs as root if Login Window!

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sat Jun 4 06:49:09 PDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 6:31 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> Here's something to make your day interesting.  Open _your_ crontab
> and add
> the following command to run in 2 minutes:
>
> /usr/bin/open "/Applications/iCal.app"
>
> Or, some other app.  Then, go to your Fast User Switching Menu or
> somehow
> show the Login Window.  Then, sit back and relax.

If you're adding this to root's crontab file, you are correct.  When
I try this as a 'normal' user, I get the following error in /var/log/
system.log:

Jun  4 08:45:00 Swordfish /usr/bin/open: kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window
Server communications from outside of session allowed for root and
console user only

I cannot get it to work for any users aside from console and root.