[X-Unix] Re: Apple dumping IBM, moving to Intel

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sun Jun 5 12:11:16 PDT 2005

On Jun 5, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

> [...]

I've been running FreeBSD for over 8 years on x86 architecture, as
well as different flavors of Linux, and not a single one of them has
ever had a virus.  If viruses were due to the insecurity of the x86
architecture, I would have had all the viruses those Windows users
had.  Instead, I had none, because there has never been an overtly
successful virus written to exploit the Unix operating system, and
those that operate similarly.

Have no fear.  Even if Apple does move to the Intel processors, rumor
has it they're going to use the Itanium series, which isn't even x86
anyway.  Secondly, Mac OS X is based on Mach 2.0, and FreeBSD 4.x/
5.x, neither of which is susceptible to any of the known viruses out
in the 'wild.'

Aside from viruses, exploits themselves have very little to do with
the architecture of the hardware, relative to the ability of the coder
(s) who wrote whatever system you're trying to exploit.  Although my
web, mail, and DNS servers have not been broken into in over 7 years,
if I was not diligent with security patches, network monitoring, and
upgrades, when appropriate, my FreeBSD/Linux/Mac OS X systems would
be just as vulnerable as anything Windows/x86.

Hopefully this clears that whole argument up a bit.