[X-Unix] App launched by my crontab runs as root if Login Window!

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 04:33:40 PDT 2005

Brian Medley wrote:

>  > So, with 'root' disabled. (a misnomer, since root is not enabled in
>>  the first place, having no password, no shell default, no console
>>  access, etc)...
>>
>>  try using sudo to cd your way into /private/var/root
>>
>>  let me know how you do.
>
>cd is a shell builtin.  sudo has no way to run this as any user.

What's up? Sarcasm detector wasn't working, eh? My point was that
with root disabled (in it's standard-shipped Unix default), the
presence of 'sudo' is NOT de facto evidence of a root account having
been enabled (at any time), as was alluded to in the OP. It's merely
an escalation to admin (or a sort of 'super' admin status), in that
there are still operations that sudo won't allow.

If a root account is enabled, and I log in as root, I can go anywhere
on the computer into 'my' 'root' 'home', into other accounts, etc).
But with no root enabled, there are 'walls'...sudo, or no sudo.

brian s