[X-Unix] App launched by my crontab runs as root if Login Window!

Alexandre Gauthier supernaut at underwares.org
Mon Jun 6 12:20:07 PDT 2005

Alexandre Gauthier wrote:

> Eric F Crist wrote:
>
>> ~flipper wrote:

>>> What's up? Sarcasm detector wasn't working, eh? My point was that
>>> with root disabled (in it's standard-shipped Unix default), the
>>> presence of 'sudo' is NOT de facto evidence of a root account having
>>> been enabled (at any time), as was alluded to in the OP. It's merely
>>> an escalation to admin (or a sort of 'super' admin status), in that
>>> there are still operations that sudo won't allow.
>>>
>>> If a root account is enabled, and I log in as root, I can go
>>> anywhere on the computer into 'my' 'root' 'home', into other
>>> accounts, etc). But with no root enabled, there are 'walls'...sudo,
>>> or no sudo.
>>>
>>> brian s
>>>
>>> Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random
>>> stuff:
>>>         http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacguy1984
>>>

>> If I'm not mistaken, root disable, or not, you can still sudo su -
>> and go wherever you want to.
>>
> You are right. I was about to mention -- with sudo you run whatever you
> run as root. Nothing stops you from running a login shell as root :) It
> is not merely "some sort of escalation" but rather, you just plain run
> the command as uid 0. Try touching a file through sudo and tell me to
> who it belongs...

Errr, replying to myself is extremely bad practice, I know, please don't
shoot my kneecaps, I still need them.

I just want to add that I am not denying that sudo isn't a de-facto
evidence that root is enabled, though.
Just pointing out that all sudo does is run the program you specify as
root, uid 0.

*protects his kneecaps as he slowly walks away*

--
Alexandre Gauthier
supernaut at underwares.org

underwares.org
Obscure IT knowledge Open Database

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for the operating system.