[X-Unix] Re: Apple dumping IBM, moving to Intel

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue Jun 7 17:04:56 PDT 2005

On 06 Jun, 2005, at 15:16, Dave Higgins wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Stephen Jonke wrote:
>
>> Apparently Apple has compiled OS X for Intel since day 1. They've
>> always had the ability to move to Intel, and now they are doing so.
>
> I'm kinda curious what kind of performance comparisons they've been
> getting with those Intel ports.

As I have understood it from the beginning -- the best performing
architecture for OSX was the Alpha, followed by the SPARC and then
Power. Sparc and Alpha were dumped for a variety of reasons early in
the game ... leaving only Intel and Power.

Intel and Power are the only two architectures still in existence
with any kind of development future.

The original IA64 was a disaster for Intel. It never achieved any of
its performance or power consumption goals. Intel bought the Alpha
process engineering staff and technology from Compaq just before
Compaq announced they were being bought out by HP.

The "next" version (2006-7) of the IA64 (I don't know its name) will
be "Alpha-inside."

Now of course, what I'm talking about here is the same problem that
IBM has with the Power chips -- they are destined for high-
performance, high-end, enterprise class servers ... i.e. expensive.

This WAS Intel's roadmap for the IA64 "before AMD" (proved that they
could make a 64 bit chip cheaply).

My guess is that the "x86" chips that Apple will be getting will be
these new generation "Alpha-inside" IA64 chips.

I suspect that they will outperform anything currently on the market.

Remember -- 2006/7 is a FULL GENERATION (if not 2) away from today's
technology.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.3.8
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com