[X-Unix] Sendmail

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Jun 14 20:17:14 PDT 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 10:08 pm, Russell McGaha wrote:

>     I  need to configure Sendmail [on 10.2.8, on a work machine; not
> mine] to send AOL mails via a particular mail sever with a specified
> username and password.

I just did a double-take & realised Jaguar was supplied with
old-fangled Sendmail, but this is so easy to do under Postfix, I'm
gonna tell you how anyway:

1) The conventional way to do this would be to send all mail through
the relay - set the "relayhost" variable in /etc/postfix/main.cf  If
you really want to send all other mail direcly (bearing in mind that
other ISPs share AOL's lame mail-acceptance foibles) check out `man
postconf`.

2) Postfix should now try to deliver via that server, and if it
requires authetication you'll see it rejecting messages when you  `tail
-f` your system logs. To tell Postfix to authenticate to that server
follow the instructions at
<http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/
smtp_auth_mailservers.html>.

A glance at
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/09/10/sendmail.html> leaves
me pretty much flummoxed, and I suspect the instructions above will be
no good to you. Maybe you could use fink to install Postfix instead? Or
Panther, or something.

Stroller.