[X-Unix] Control Airport *modem* from CLI

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Sat Jun 25 07:00:12 PDT 2005

On 25 Jun, 2005, at 02:53, Timothy Luoma intoned:
> I'm looking for ways to control the Airport Extreme's modem from
> the commandline in 10.4.
>
> So far the closest tool I've found is /System/Library/CoreServices/
> RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup-panther
> but it just turns Airport on and off, and doesn't do anything about
> the modem as far as I can tell.
>
> Anyone know of a way?

If you can find the AEBS MIB file, you can possibly do it via
SNMP. ... however, I don't know that Apple has ever published the
proprietary portion of their MIB.  [Both Panther and Tiger come with
net-snmp.] ["man -k snmp" to find all the parts of net-snmp.]

Nominally, one would simply use snmpset to turn it on and off.
However, it does not appear to reference the modem. (I'm not using
the one on mine, so it might just not be visible.)

Apple's AMU (Airport Management Utility, a download from the Airport
home page) uses SNMP to query and configure the AEBS. You CAN use it
to switch the "WAN Internet Connection" between Ethernet, PPPoE and
Modem. However, that is not the same as "controlling the modem."

There is a copy of the "AIRPORT-BASESTATION-3-MIB" (which for the
AEBS is SNMPv3) around someplace -- on the developer site as I
recall, but I don't believe it has any info on the modem.  Put
another way, the published MIB does not appear to cover much about
the modem.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.3.8
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com