[X-Unix] zip from command-line in Tiger

Stephen Jonke sjj_public at mac.com
Sun Jun 26 09:17:59 PDT 2005

On Sunday, June 26, 2005, at 02:36AM, Scott J. Kramer <x-unix at sjk.us> wrote:
>Sorry if I missed your reason earlier, but I'm curious why you're using
>zip instead of tar on 10.4 if you want to preserve resource forks.

The files to be compressed/archived are sometimes intended for Windows users too, and end up on a web server (obviously they don't get use of the resource fork if any, but with the Panther/Tiger .zip format the rest is intact for them.) Is it typical for a web server to handle tar files correctly? Can PC users decompress them without add-on software? How does it handle resource forks for non-Mac users? I had presumed tar wasn't an option, but hadn't really looked into it in depth.

Steve