[X-Unix] Just hide 'em...

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Wed Jun 29 23:44:54 PDT 2005

On 30/6/05 00:11, "Eric F Crist" <ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:

> How could I hide, but not disable a user from the login window?  I've
> recently been installing a lot of OS X systems for friends, family,
> etc, and I routinely install a user account for myself.  There is no
> reason for this account to show up on the login window.

The easiest way is to change the settings for the login window...usually it
shows an icon and you only click on it and then give a password to login but
for security reasons (or for your above question) you can also just display
a field for the user name and another for password...that way they do not
know the amount or names of the users that have accounts on the PB.

You can change this using System Preferences/Accounts/Login Options (lower
left of the window) under the radio button for 'Display login window as:

Name and password

However, they may still see the accounts on the PB if they also look at the
accounts pane...(not sure as I am the only user and obviously have Admin
rights).

You could also have a look at Mac OS X hints website for a better and more
thorough solution:

<http://www.macosxhints.com/>

HTH,

Richard