[X-Unix] SSH tunnel vs. 10.3.8 vs. port forwarding

Cloyce D. Spradling cloyce+xunix at headgear.org
Sun Mar 6 09:57:27 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 12:50:15PM -0500, Jeff Winchester wrote:
: I would expect, once the tunnel is running, to be able to telnet to
: localhost ports 1100 or 2500 and see the ISP's POP3 or SMTP, but I get
: something to the effect of:

: 	marius:~ jeff$ telnet localhost 1100
: 	Trying ::1...

This means that localhost on your system first resolves to the IPv6 localhost
address.  Try it with 127.0.0.1 and see if it doesn't work.

If it does, you can probably change localhost to return the IPv4 localhost
address first, but I don't have any OS X systems handy to verify.

--
Cloyce