[X-Unix] SSH tunnel vs. 10.3.8 vs. port forwarding

Cloyce D. Spradling cloyce+xunix at headgear.org
Sun Mar 6 14:40:34 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 03:04:52PM -0500, Jeff Winchester wrote:

: The IPv6 isn't what's bugging me.

I think the IPv6 _is_ bugging you.  Actually, I think that SSH is only
forwarding IPv4 ports for you.  Thus the 127.0.0.1 suggestion.  But I've
been wrong before, and it'll probably happen again someday...

: What bothers me is the fact that my
: port-forwarded POP3 telnet session terminates immediately after
: connecting. I do not terminate it myself. That's what I'm trying to
: figure out.

Run tcpdump or some other network sniffer on your local connection and
verify that that's really what's happening.  And you might also want to
verify that the system to which you're connected via SSH is allowed to
connect to your ISP's POP server.

--
Cloyce