[X-Unix] DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 16:15:28 PST 2005

I'm having great difficulty using libtool to link DSOs after I upgraded httpd.

Upon completion of `make install' when trying to start the server I got this error message:

/Library/Apache2/bin/apachectl start
dyld: /Library/Apache2/bin/httpd version mismatch for library: /Library/Apache2/lib/libexpat.0.dylib (compatibility version of user: 5.0.0 greater than library's version: 2.0.0)
/Library/Apache2/bin/apachectl: line 87: 15100 Trace/BPT trap          $HTTPD -k $ARGV

I believe one way is to use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (I'm using bash) but am struggling. The `make install' advised:

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution

I have asked on the Apache Users list but with no success and I'm wondering if anybody could give me any tips.

Cheers,

Regards,

    Phil (please cc me if possible: I'm on digest).