[X-Unix] System upgrade dilemma

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Thu Mar 10 01:16:18 PST 2005

I wouldn't go back to 10.2.8. You might run into more problems if you don't
downgrade all your applications, too. And I don't know which apps even
updated their data model so that downgrading isn't so simple after all if
you have used the system in the meanwhile.

Try a clean install, yes, if you have the time. I'd be hesitant and see if I
could fix things another way first.

Alternatives:

How full is your disk? Could it be that the archive and install filled your
startup disk to the edge?

I remember reports that some apps get messy when the disk runs full. Where
"full" these days can range in the "few GB" range. A friend of mine had
issues with Mail which disappeared after giving OS X more space on the disk.

Try removing the preference files of the offending apps, too.

You can also setup a new user and then see if the problems exist in the new
account.

This forum might not be the best place for such a question. I recommend you
look at www.osxlist.com and subscribe there.

Bjorn