[X-Unix] local IMAP server?

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Tue Mar 22 01:51:13 PST 2005

Well, I use pine (the IMAP server that comes with it, actually) because of
prior experience, and because it stores the files in a standard mbox
format.  I'm not sure if Courier offers that option now, but it didn't at
the time.  You were speaking about concern over mail loss - that's how I
feel about keeping mail in a database format.  I want it in nice standard
mbox text that I can back up and be confident of recovery.
<<

That's one reason for me as well why I use Mail as a client.

Courier by default uses maildir, I think.

Tiger's version of Mail is set to use maildir, too.

I actually prefer maildir over mail, at least in theory:
- incremental backups are much easier
- large mbox files can be a pain

I read somewhere that supposedly the reason for Apple's switch to maildir is
Spotlight: It's file based. So Mail had to use a one-file-per-mail format to
plug into Spotlight.

Bjorn

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3167