[X-Unix] Compressing files

Chuck Toporek chuck at oreilly.com
Wed Mar 23 15:43:48 PST 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 10:12 AM, Mark Philip wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've got a directory called Timothy Ng, which contains lots of JPEG
> images. I wish to compress these images into a ZIP file, put the ZIP
> file into another directory (say Desktop) and then email this file to
> a user who is running Windows XP. I used to do this a while ago but
> have forgotten how to do this using TAR. Can anyone help me out?

Using tar, and assuming that the "Timothy Ng" folder resides in your
Pictures folder, you can do something like this:

     tar cvfz ~/Desktop/timng_images.tgz ~/Pictures/Timothy\ Ng

If you want to use Zip instead, use the following:

     zip ~/Desktop/timng_images.zip ~/Pictures/Timothy\ Ng/*.*

Either of these commands will archive the files in the "Timothy Ng"
folder (in .tgz or .zip format, respectively), and save that archive to
your Desktop. From there, all you need to do is attach the archive to
your email message.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you've said the directory
contains a lot of images. Some hosts cap in-bound messages at 10MB, so
you should make sure that your archive is under that limit before you
send it off, else it could bounce.

HTH,

Chuck

----
                     Chuck Toporek, Senior Editor (Macintosh)
O'Reilly Media, Inc.                 |  Author of:
EM: chuck at oreilly.com                |  Inside .Mac
W3: http://www.oreilly.com/          |  Mac OS X Panther in a Nutshell