[X-Unix] Re: Repair permissions on volume with no OS?

Bert Knabe bert.knabe at lubbockonline.com
Sun Mar 27 21:41:56 PST 2005

On Mar 27, 2005, at 11:10 PM, Albert Lunde wrote:

>> Sorry, I should have given more detail. I am asking if there is a way
>> to repair permissions on a volume that doesn't have OS X on it. Here
>> is
>> what I know:
> [...]
>> The volume is set to ignore permissions, so I tried changing that. It
>> fixed the problem, but caused problems with a couple of essential
>> PC's,
>> so I changed it back. It has been ignoring permissions for over a
>> year,
>> and having problems for about a week, so I don't think that is the
>> cause of our problem.
> [...]
>> About the only suggestion I've received from other lists has been that
>> it's a permissions problem, and that seems to make sense in a weird
>> way.
>
> Bear in mind that "Repair Permissions" isn't a cure-all for problems
> with
> Unix-style permissions, it can only "fix" the permissions of a finite
> set
> of things listed in the data it's got from Apple, mostly solving things
> like set-uid root executables that have lost the setuid bit.

I hope this problem is one it can fix. I'm about to the point of doing
a full backup (to make sure I have data from the current day) wiping,
and restoring. But since I'm not sure what the problem is, I'm not sure
that will fix it.

> If you are dealing with a file/directory not set up by an Apple
> installer,
> "Repair Permissions" most likely doesn't know the right thing to do.

Every thing on the server was setup using Apple tools.

> In that case, someone may need to work out from first principles
> what's the correct permissions, and then set them with tools like
> chmod and chown (say, using sudo, to run them as root).
>
> So do the other lists suggest _what kind_ of permissions problem
> may be your problem?

No, all that was said was "that would generally indicate a permission
problem." I sent them another message similar to the more informative
message to this list because I had more information. So far no one has
responded.

Bert Knabe
Computer Technician
Lubbock Avalanche Journal